Tuesday 27 March 2012

Storytelling in Southampton Junior Schools

Yesterday I was very proud to return to Townhill Junior School, to help launch their Book Week events.  Last year they had been my first Juniors booking when I started my business, and I was delighted to meet some familiar faces. Full of expectation the current Year 4's remembered both the Roman Myth I shared with them and me myself, which can't be a bad recommendation can it?

This year, I was back telling to every age group across the school. Throughout the day we travelled backwards in time with Myths & Legends, adventured with Perseus in Ancient Greece, heard stories involving Mountains and shared wisdoms from the Indian Jataka tales. At times it was a squash and a squeeze with 90 children in some year groups, but the children didn't mind and leaned forward eagerly to hear every word.  After the stories the children were keen to ask questions, the boys especially had lots of questions about the action heroes and made links to versions they already knew. Others wanted to know how I became a storyteller and how I learned my tales.

"I loved your stories, I could really see the pictures" said one girl in Year 4 and at lunchtime a Year 5 boy stuck his head round the door of the classroom and said boldly "I hear you are a great storyteller". Word on the playground had spread!

It was a fantastic day and especially wonderful to be welcomed back by such a friendly school, I wish them a fabulous book week, and hope to visit them again soon.